Monday, January 25, 2016

Analyzing your GEDmatches 3
some of my "tricks"



What I do when I get a new match, and there's no GEDcom:
     Actually I do this first: look for shared matches between me and the new match.  I have a few DNA matches in my library that I know what side of my family they are on.  

People who match one or both of 2 kits: stupid name, great tool! Put your kit number in, then their's.  IF they are a really good match, >15 cM, leave the minimum setting of 10 cM as is.  If not, dial it down to 8 or 9.  NOTE: you will have to run one to one of these people to make sure its a match within the last 400 years.  If they are, look to see if they have a GEDmatch, run their ethnic makeup, or email them.

Open up their "one-to-many"  see who they are related to.  Sometimes I find that they may matches to  "Jerry Semko" and I match to "Laurie Semko" and I know they are related because they have the same email contact.

Check out their X matches too.  Some shared matches may be here.  They don't show up on the "shared matches" tool, as that just checks autosomal.



No comments:

Post a Comment